Before the painting commenced, though, Tom had a job I had designated him to do. Since our cabinets are seriously fossils, if not antiques (roughly 40-50 years old we are guessing..), they were a little worn down and beaten up. For the most part, the new hinges we were going to install would fix everything. But the drawers were a different story. Of the 4 drawers we have in our kitchen, 3 of them were broken. So Tom grabbed a flashlight and went Sherlock Holmes on them.
Anyways, after tightening a few screws, hammering in a few new ones, hammering the tracks and wheels for good measure, and a little WD-40, they were as good as... well, let's just say they worked. Since we had thought they were a lost cause to begin with, yes - we DID do the happy dance when we pulled on them and they came sliding out!
First I created a work area, ensuring that I had appropriate lighting and enough space to move around in.
Luckily for us, there was no finish left on the doors - it had worn off over the past 50 years. So I skipped the sanding and proceeded to the next step: cleaning. I used a TSP substitute solution to get off any more grit and grime that was left on the doors (there had been quite a bit when we bought the house! Ew.).